Sunday, October 9, 2011
Homesick for Home
Last night, I watched the movie "13 Going on 30." I forgot how much I enjoy that movie, and spent the rest of my evening living life through the eyes of a 13 year old. It was liberating in a way, smiling and laughing at funny things I saw around the house. Next time I need a pick-me-up and a step away from adult life, I'll watch that movie.
There's a scene in the movie where Jenna return home and sits in a closet trying to send her 30 year old self back to her 13 year old self. Her parents come home and find her, and she gives them huge hugs. For some reason, I cried at this point, something I've never done before. So, it's logical that today, when the day is a perfect fall day, the trees are a rainbow of red, yellow, and orangey tints, and the weather is quintessentially fall, I'm finding myself a little homesick, both for home and for my childhood. Not to worry, I'm not homesick enough to sit at my computer and cry. I'm just homesick enough to remember all the wonderful things I did at home during the fall season.
- raking leaves into huge piles and burying myself at the bottom
- piling all the leaves into the truck and pushing them off the back while Mom drove down the cornfield
- apple. cider. Enough said.
- carving pumpkins
- making a giant corn shock in the middle of the yard around the lightpole, and later using it as a fort.
- campfires anytime and every time the weather was gorgeous
- taking a family drive up north along the Mississippi River to Gutenburg to have a picnic and look at the trees changing color
- walking down to the creek
- driving tractor to help with the Harvest (or bouncing around the field in the gray truck with Stephanie White)
What are some of your favorite memories or activities of fall?
at 3:48 PM